Wednesday, November 16, 2016

What Does Prayer Look Like?


Prayer

This past Sunday, I was in the middle of worship service. But my mind and my thoughts were far from Him. As I sat still to simply pray, as I waged war against my own thoughts and emotions, I began to see an illustration in my mind, a vision, of the veil that was torn as Jesus died on the cross. Behind the now torn veil was the thrown of God on an exceedingly high mountain, from which came unapproachable light. But I noticed that the steps leading to the throne, the path to the Holy of Holies, was paved in the Blood of the Lamb.

Prayer - For me nothing is harder. I am not referring to casual prayers filled with our requests; how we desire God to cater to our fleeting whims and selfish, ever-changing desires. In my seemingly ever present weakness and struggle I am very competent in praying this way.  Are we told to cast our cares upon the Lord? Absolutely. ALL of them, because he cares for us -1 Peter 5:7. Additionally, we are commanded to pray without ceasing - 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
However, this casual attempt at prayer, as if God exists for us and not we for Him, is not how I see prayer defined in Scripture. I do see prayer defined in Scripture - what it is and what it is not - by Jesus Himself.
The entirety of God’s Word expels the falsity that He, the
Ancient of Days, exists for our good pleasure. Rather, it is God who works in us, both to will and to do of His good pleasure - Philippians 2:13. Does Scripture, and much more so the prayer life of Jesus Himself with His Father, shape or effect our prayer life with our Creator and Savior? I believe it should be the defining cornerstone upon which it rests.

The Lord’s Prayer - Matthew 6:9-13.
How do we pray? Merely for ourselves? Our selfish desires?  Jesus gave His disciples, and those who would believe in Him through their word, the model of The Lord’s Prayer.  Not for needless repetition - Matthew 6:7 -  but as a model for our hearts.
- Enter into prayer with praise and thanksgiving
9.
- Pray for His will before we do our own
10.
- When we do submit our requests, it should be primarily for our "daily bread", trusting God to give us all that we need for today, not worrying about tomorrow
11.
- Continually repent and pray for conviction, being careful that we are quick to forgive those who have wronged us
12.
- Pray for victory over sin
13.
- Close as we once again lift up His name in praise
13.

The Prayer Jesus Prayed John 17:1-26
Lord Jesus’ Prayer – the prayer He prayed to the Father at truly His final hour before being arrested and taken to be crucified.
He entered into prayer with His heart in complete submission to the Will of the Father; already having decided that He would drink the cup of the Father1; the will of the Father above His own.  He prays for His disciples, those who He called His friends6-19.  He Prayed for the Father to keep them through His name11, for their unity with one another11 and that they might have His joy13.
What He doesn’t pray for is just as profound.  He does not pray for them to be taken out of the world, but that they would be kept from the evil one15; that they would be sanctified by the Word of Truth17Then He prays for US! For oneness20-21, and that where He, Jesus, is we may be also24.

The Pharisee and the Tax Collector Luke 18:9-14
Prayer is no place for self-righteousness or for us to exalt ourselves11-12. Prayer is surrender. Surrender is worship. The position of worship is not just kneeled, but falling down before the Lord. So should our hearts be contrite, humbled, and prostrate before the Lord in prayer.
The Pharisee missed it. He left his place of prayer unforgiven
14, he was never truly praying. The tax collector who beat his chest, who pleaded for mercy from a repentant heart, was heard by God and forgiven14.

The Prayer Life of Jesus
What did Jesus do?  What emphasis did Emanuel place on intimate and constant communication with His Father?  What did Jesus pray for?
Jesus pursued the Father. Continually. Intentionally. He removed Himself from the crowds and from His disciples to be in the presence of His Father.
Jesus prayed for the will of the Father above His own -
Luke 22:42. He prayed for the unity and oneness of His disciples after He was to ascend into Heaven – John 17:6-19. He pleaded with the Father to forgive the very ones who had crucified Him – Luke 23:34.
I am convinced of no greater thing than this: if the Son of Man pursued the Father in prayer as He did, how much more desperately must I abide in the True Vine through prayer and the Word? He is the great and mighty I AM.
  I am the IM NOT. He is the ANCIENT OF DAYS; by whom, for whom, and through whom all creation was made and is held in existence. I am sinful man.
This past Sunday, I was in the middle of worship service. But my mind and my thoughts were far from Him. As I sat still to simply pray, as I waged war against my own thoughts and distractions, I began to see an illustration in my mind, a vision, of the veil that was torn as Jesus died on the cross. Behind the now torn veil was the thrown of God on an exceedingly high mountain, from which came unapproachable light. But I noticed that the steps leading to the throne, the path to the Holy of Holies, was paved in the Blood of the Lamb. Now seated at the right hand of the Father, Jesus had gone where I could not, He had atoned and approached the throne in my place, that in Him I too may approach the Holy of Holies in prayer, that I might host the Holy Spirit in this temple. Though I am a new creation
2 Corinthians 5:17 -  Scripture clearly tells us that we do not know how to pray as we ought – Romans 8:26-27 – but that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us at the Throne of God with groans that can’t be uttered, and Jesus Himself intercedes for us at the right hand of God – Romans 8:34.

If that is the reality of the avenue I have in prayer to the Father, if that was the price Jesus paid for my ransom, I believe that should define and give life to how I pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment